Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Introducing... Animal Magnetism


I’m the worst kind of blogger—the absentee kind.  Despite turning my life into an open book with Golden Boy:  How to raise a dog all wrong . . . and end up all right, I have trouble choking out a few words here on a regular basis.  

So I’ve come up with a new strategy:  I’ll turn this space over to other people more often.  Most of you are animal lovers, like me, and you’re probably just as hungry for information.  I’ve been lucky enough to run into a lot of interesting people in the past couple of years who know way more about animals than I do.  Some of them have agreed to post here—trainers, breeders, groomers, walkers, and cool “regular” people.  If we ask lots of questions, maybe they’ll stick around, and others will join.  

I don’t want this to be a huge amount of work for anyone.  I’ll try to stick to 5 questions, and I’ll throw in a proofread and polish, so no one gets page-fright.  It’s not about fine writing; it’s about sharing stories and information.  

Tomorrow, we’ll welcome our first guest.  In the meantime, I’ll fire a double shot of 10 questions at myself... just because I can!  

How often will you post?

Twice a week, minimum.  More often, if people raise their hands to volunteer.  If you have an area of interest or expertise, please send me an e-mail. 

What are you going to cover?

Anything goes, as long as it’s pet-related.  I’m hoping it won’t be all-dog, all-the-time.  I, for one, would love to read more about cats, rabbits, chickens, horses and goats.  I even have a goat-owner on call. It’s good to be connected! 

The format is a work-in-progress.  I’m thinking of “Meet the Breed Monday,” “Trainer Tuesday/Thursday,” and “Top Five Friday,” where owners tell us what they love most about their pets.  We can do round ups of some of our favorite products, books, and websites. 

How can people help?

Comment.  Ask our guests questions.  Suggest topics.  Connect me to friends in high places with pet knowledge to spare.  Please subscribe to the blog, and share, share, share!  I barely know my way around Facebook, so I’ll need help to get the word out.  
My ghostwriter

Can you promise comedy?

Yes!  With Riggs, Mabel and Rufus as muses, it’s inevitable.   

What about romance?  

You know me so well!  I’m a sucker for romance and I’m already scheming about how to work it in.  I know I can do it.  

Will there be prizes?  (I mean real prizes, not free copies of Golden Boy.)

Very funny.  I’ll see what I can do.  

How often will you be casually dropping Golden Boy into the conversation? 

Aside from today, no more than twice a month.  Beyond that, I expect public sanction. 

Why take on extra work?  Shouldn’t you be writing books? Hey... is this a sneaky procrastination technique?

That’s three questions, but I’ll indulge you.     

First, Animal Magnetism gives me a chance to profile some knowledgeable people who deserve more attention.

Second, I get to ask all the questions I want answers to, even the stupid ones.  I love learning about animals and this gives me a chance to pester experts in the name of public education. 

And third, yes, I should be writing my next book.  This is one of my more creative stalling techniques.  Thank you for pointing it out. 
The real deal

Is that Riggs’ butt in the blog banner above?

Actually, it's his butt-double.  While Riggs technically has a much nicer tail, it’s usually matted and full of burrs.  

What’s happening next?

Tomorrow we’ll meet our first guest—a talented trainer who’s agreed to be one of our trainers-in-residence here at Animal Magnetism.  See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment